Thermal analysis of metals and alloys
Thermo-electrical and magnetic analysis of structures and new materials
X – Ray structural analysis
The Institute of Metal Science is exclusive and official distributor of the MAGMASOFT program packages for Bulgaria. It is authorized both to sell licenses for using the programs and to conclude contracts for rendering technological assistance and realization of concrete projects with carrying out simulations and optimizations of concrete casting technologies.
Internal friction analysis
On the base of the accumulated research and production experience, technologies can be developed for production of melts of ferrous alloys and control of the processes of the shaped casting formation in the casting molds.
By the experimental machines and installations there can be produced high quality shaped castings of ferrous metals with maximum unit weight 600 kg.
Gas treatment of metal melts under pressure to 50 atm., samples of weight to 10 kg.
Sintering of laboratory samples of powder materials in atmospheres of different gases or their mixtures.
Carrying out metallographic micro- and macro-structure analyses.
Consulting activity in the field of steels and technologies for their production and quality control.
Consulting services in the field of induction heating and application of the magnetic hydrodynamics in the soldering processes.
Development and introducing into industry of technologies for:
- casting under gas counter-pressure or low pressure of heavy-duty aluminum alloy parts
- squeeze casting of heavy-duty aluminum alloy parts, including castings fully or partially reinforced with composite materials
- casting under high pressure of Al- and Zn-alloy castings
- gravitation casting in metal, sand and combined moulds of ferrous and non-ferrous metals castings
- centrifugal casting of thin- and heavy-section mono- and multilayered castings of ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- Design of casting equipment.
- Computer modeling, simulation and optimization of the technologies developed in the department.
- Production of small series of ferrous and non-ferrous metals
- castings and composite materials for heavy-duty, heavy-loaded parts for the automotive, motor-, electro- and machine-building industries, defense industry, etc.
- Precise heat-treatment of castings and half-finished materials of aluminum alloys and steels.
- Engineering activities for solving of complex production and technological problems.
- Science-technical consulting and training in the field of casting technologies, machines and systems.
Technology and design development at introducing non-metal products into industry.
Consulting activities and integral development of research projects funded by MEYS, BSMEPA, MAF, etc., under EO programs.
Manufacturе of models, prototypes and small series of products from various types of non-metal materials.
Research and development of technologies for creating hard wear-resistant and corrosion-resistant coatings of metals with non-metal phases
Design and manufacture of sensors and devices
Investigations in the field of the Ship Powering Performance:
- Resistance and self-propulsion model tests
- Flow measurements and visualization
- Model tests of the ship propellers hydrodynamic characteristics
- Computer aided analysis and design of optimum propellers
- Powering performance prediction analysis and improvement
Analyses and assessments of the Water Transport effectiveness
Experimental investigations in the field of the Coastal Engineering:
- Lay-out planning of Harbour & Coastal Engineering Structures
- Coastal Hydraulics, spreading and transformation of wind generated waves
- Sediment processes, beach and seabed dynamics
- Wave loads on Harbour & Coastal Engineering Structures
- Spreading of pollutants in the coastal waters
Model investigations of Fish-Breeding Facilities
- Ship models, unconventional floating units models
- Models of propellers, ducts, rudders, fins, appendages
Investigations in the field of Ship Dynamics and Ocean Engineering:
- Designing of ships taking into account the real exploitation conditions
- Theoretical and experimental evaluations on ship and offshore dynamics
- Measuring of the mooring and drift forces
- Evaluations of the dynamics of arbitrary forms floating bodies
- Analyses of the stability of floating bodies
- Analyses of the dynamics of small boats
- Theoretical and experimental prediction of ship manoeuvring qualities
- Full scale trials and onboard control
- Simulations of the dynamics of marine objects for staff training
Investigations in the field of Aerodynamics of bodies, engineering structures and technical objects
Analyses and assessments using specialized Marine Engineering Software:
- For geometrical data processing
- For decision of specific tasks in the field of the numerical hydrodynamics
- For decision of specific tasks in the field of the ships/floating objects dynamics
- For experimental data acquisition and processing
Investigation and testing, welding materials, consumables, auxiliary materials and welding joints
Investigation and measuring of temporary and residual stresses in welded (or other) constructions
Reduction and redistribution of residual welding stresses
Development and approval of welding technologies and procedures
Developing of technologies and equipment for special welding methods
Education and qualification of welding personnel